Thursday, August 11, 2011

Stuffed Red Peppers

Tonight for dinner I used the last of my ground pork, as I mentioned before I bought 3 lbs and cooked it all up at once to save time! This recipe was really easy and yummy too! I'll admit, my kids didn't eat the peppers, just the stuffing, but I chopped up their roasted peppers to use in some scrambled eggs for breakfast.
Ingredients
1 lb lean ground meat (beef, pork, turkey)
1 garlic, minced
1/4 onion, minced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin powder
salt to taste
3 large sweet red bell peppers, washed, cut in half and seeded
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1 can fat free chicken broth (divided)
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups COOKED rice (to cook the rice I used 1 cup of chicken broth from the can and added water to make the right ammount, then used the other cup in the recipe. I don't like opening a can and only using half!)
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 400*. Cook ground meat with garlic, onion, and seasonings until well browned. Meanwhile, prepare red peppers and place in a baking dish.(I used a 9X13) Once meat is cooked add in cilantro, 1/2 cup of chicken broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and heat about 5 minutes. Stir in rice. Scoop mixture into peppers filling completely. Top with cheese, pour remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth in bottom of baker, cover tightly with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment