Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Potato Corn Chowder and Salad

Today when I cut into my lettuce it was all yucky on the inside, bummer! So I did a Tomato/Cucumber/Mozzarella salad topped only with Salt and Pepper. It was delicious! It has been rainy, rainy, and more rainy, so it was perfect weather for a fast, easy and yummy soup. BTW, I used my VEGGIE WEDGER to slice the tomatoes and cucumbers, I simply placed the whole tomatoes in the wedger, cut one time through, then cut the wedges in half. For the cucumbers I peeled them and sliced them with the wedger then quickly chopped the long wedges into small pieces.



3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2 in cubes



1 cup cooked ham, diced (I usually just use deli meat because I always have it on hand, but a ham steak would be delish!)



1 small red bell pepper, diced



2-3 stalks celery, chopped



1 teaspoon butter



2 tablespoons flour



1 can chicken broth



1 can evaporated milk



1 can creamed corn



2 tablespoons sliced chives



salt and pepper to taste



bacon bits or cooked crumbled bacon (optional






Heat butter in 3 qt. saucepan over medium heat, add bell pepper and celery. Cook 3-4 minutes. Stir in flour and heat until bubbly. Gradually add broth, evaporated milk and corn whisking to incorporate. Add potatoes, seasonwith salt and pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook uncovered 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in ham heat through. Remove from heat, stir in chives. Serve with bacon if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment